Monday, December 1, 2008

The F Word

The L Word has become that bad accident on the highway that you can't help but stare at as you pass it. I mean, really, what else do I have to do on Sunday nights?

So I have stayed with it, although all through the past two seasons I continually threatened to stop watching. This season, Lucy Lawless is about the only reason I plan to tune in. That, and the fact that when this season is over, I hope to have a cathartic completion to the story arc and can reflect upon the work as a whole to comtemplate its various themes and .... yeah, okay, even I can't keep that up.

But what prompts this is the trailer I just watched and the spoiler I just read. The twist that is supposed to be awaiting us within the first ten minutes of this season is one that will no doubt re-invigorate watchers like myself. Hell, I'm up at 2:00 am blogging about it, right?

But my need to blog is not really related to my excitement at the coming season and if this spoiler is true, and if so, how will they handle the explanation of it... No, it's more one of initial disbelief and betrayal. If what I just read is true, then there can be no explanation to justify it. There can be logical story lines that could lead to it, but even IF the story line is handled with the care, attention, and sensitivity that I feel it deserves, it is still only a stereotypical ending for a character that I think has been anything but.

And really, given the writing of the last two seasons, I think we are more likely in for a Jerry Springer type story line than anything truly dramatic, intelligent, or philosophical.

Good lord woman... don't we already get enough from mainstream tv and film of what you're about to shovel on us?

Maybe I am wrong... maybe the spoiler is wrong. Only time and the completion of this season will tell. I will keep my fingers crossed, but not get my hopes up.

No comments: